Many of us like to have a good healthy and fit body. For that purpose or goal, we eat well and do many exercises so we can boost our body strength.
Awesome health and fitness should be our first priority as this condition of our body not only help against diseases but also helps us to gain prosperity in different aspects of life. To achieve the good health you may do some exercises.
A gym is known as a place where most of us do our physical activities. Closure of gyms can cost you but not much if you have a "B" plan. "B" plan is to work out at home. Where you can do some effective types of exercises with limited equipment.
You can do your favorite chest workout or other body parts exercises at home. Here this article will explain to you some best chest workout routines along with the explanation and guide to perform various exercises. A video or gif guide is also available in this post.
What is a chest workout?
Chest workouts mean your effort that you make during different physical activities that target your chest muscles. With these exercises, your chest muscle shape and growth improve. You may gain a lot of strength after getting reasonable cheat muscles.
Doing these workouts and other body part exercises in your workout routine can help you to get awesome fitness. Remember the foods that you eat, put a huge effect on your loss, gain, performance or results. You can do chest workouts by using your body weight, dumbbells, barbell, weight plates, weight machines, etc.
Risks of chest workout
There are many types of chest exercises, most of them target the same muscles but with different intensities.
Like take an example of pushups which need a lot of effort the first time but if you do lightweight bench press then you may do well in this exercise. Never lift heavyweight if you are a beginner because your Muscle soreness or injury risks may increase.
There is a huge number of cases in which even experienced athletes have got serious muscle injuries due to heavy lifting. Like a recent case of a young man "Ryan" who tore his pec muscles during the effort of lifting too heavyweight. (2)
According to researches high tension that our muscles receive from intense exercises can cause serious injuries. (2)
Researchers say chest muscles are most vulnerable to injuries or risks because peoples like to do more in chest-related exercises, which can cause trouble for them. Always use a weight or intensity which needs less or medium effort. (2)
It is not good if you put your all effort into exercise because your body also needs to perform other daily functions, which may be affected by too much exercise. (2)
Home chest workout
There are many chest muscles related exercises. You can do most of them in gyms or fitness centers but a lot of exercises can be done at home also. Here I will explain some top-rated chest exercises that can help your chest workout routine at home:
Dumbbell Bench press
It is a famous exercise for your upper body. Chest muscles are the main target of this workout. You may know about it already.
The bench press is perhaps the most liked exercise in gyms. You may find people doing this exercise on Monday (chest day), believe it, you may need to wait for some time to perform a set due to the unavailability of equipment or benches.
The bench press can be performed with dumbbells, barbells, or with some weight machines like smith machines. At home, this exercise can be performed easily with the help of dumbbells.
Dumbbells provide the same benefits or effects as barbells. It does not mean that barbells provide superior benefits then dumbbells during the bench press.
As Arnold Schwarzenegger had said in his YouTube video that your body doesn't see what you are lifting.
If you are targetting your muscles well or you are performing your exercise as it needs to be, then you will get benefits even if you are using a dumbbell or barbell.
Equipment for dumbbell bench press
- Two dumbbells
- One flat bench or adjustable exercise bench
Muscles targetted by dumbbell bench press
- It mainly targets chest area muscles
- Shoulder muscles
- Back muscles
How to perform a dumbbell bench press
- Get a pair of dumbbells and a flat bench
- Lay on the bench with dumbbells in your hands
- Keep your feet attached to the floor
- Now bring both dumbbells near your chest muscles
- One dumbbell should be left and one on the right side of chest muscles
- Keep your both elbows bend and make the 90 ° angle of your forearms and prepare to lift both dumbbells upwards
- Now lift your both arms upwards
- Slowly decrease your bend at elbows and take your arms upwards
- When your arms will come in a straight position then take a second and bring them back to starting position slowly
- Perform dumbbell bench press slowly, with normal or medium weight
Flat Dumbbell fly
Dumbbell fly is an exercise that targets your upper body area. The technique to perform fly is different from bench press or other related exercises.
In dumbbell fly, your both arms act as a lever, to lower and raise the dumbbells.
Fly exercise has many variations, you can perform it by using dumbbells, cables, fly machines, etc. This exercise is also risky.
Your body may not lift as heavy as it does in the bench press or incline type press. It can put bad pressure on your body's joint especially on your shoulder and elbows area if you make it a habit to lift heavy.
Use normal weight to perform this exercise. If you are feeling any pain due to it then avoid it or talk with a doctor.
Equipment for flat dumbbell fly
- A pair of dumbbell
- A flat bench
Muscles targetted by flat dumbbell fly
- Chest (main)
How to perform flat dumbbell fly
- Lay on a flat bench, with a dumbbell in your hands
- Lift both dumbbells upward straight, their inner face should be in front of each other
- Now lower your both arms in the opposite direction, keep them straight
- You may make a huge bend in your elbows if you use heavyweight so don't lift heavy in fly
- After reaching the level of your chest height, pull both arms along with dumbbells upwards to the first position
- Keep your exercise performing speed low
Pushups are one of the famous exercises for chest muscles. Perhaps this exercise and up mentioned bench press is a worldwide most used workout by athletes, celebrities, armed forces, and common peoples.
For pushups, you don't need any types of equipment, just you and your body weight and you are good to go for it. The number of pushups matters. Some can do a lot, some can do normal and some peoples may not able to do a few pushups.
If you can perform 20 to 30 pushups then you may have some good fitness. Add them to your daily workout routine, you may further increase your numbers.
You can easily do pushups anywhere, only a small place where you can lay is enough to do some pushups.
Add it to your workout routine, you may see a reasonable boost in your upper body muscles especially in the chest area. Don't worry if you are unable to do some reasonable pushups the first time, just do them daily, your numbers can increase.
Equipment for pushups
- Nothing, just your body weight, and effort
Muscles targeted by pushups
- Chest (main)
- Triceps (main)
How to perform pushups
- Lay on a floor in the prone position
- Lift your body on your hands, and on your feet upper head like fingers
- Keep your arms straight
- It is just like plank position but in pushups, you use hand palms to lift whereas in regular plank you use your elbows back
- Now lower your body by making a bend in your both elbows
- After reaching near the surface, take a second and lift yourself upward slowly
Dumbbell incline bench press
A dumbbell incline bench press is a variation in a regular flat bench press. To perform it you need to set your bench in the incline position.
In the market gym-like adjustable benches are available, you can get them at a reasonable price. Just like a normal bench press, it is also a risky exercise. Heavy weight lifting during incline bench press can cost you. Young bodybuilder Ryan was seriously injured during performing this exercise.
Researchers have also called this exercise risky as it put huge pressure and tension on your muscles especially on the chest area. Your shoulder joints may also start showing pain signatures after some heavy lifting. Avoid heavy lifting, as you are doing a workout to build your body not destroying it. (2)(1)
Equipment you need to perform incline bench press
- A pair of dumbbell
- Incline bench (prefer adjustable exercise bench)
Muscles incline bench press target
- Chest (main)
- Triceps, biceps, and forearms
How to perform an incline bench press
- Set your bench in the incline position. Only adjustable benches have settings not flat or fix benches
- Keep your both dumbbells near the upper sides of your chest while making a bend in both elbows
- Lift dumbbells upward by moving your arms towards the straight position
- When your arms will become straight then lower them slowly to starting position.
- You have complete one repetition
- Watch the video below for its practical visual
A dumbbell pullover is an exercise that targets many muscles of your body. You can get benefits from it even at home. This exercise has some variations. In a regular dumbbell pullover, you lay on your upper back on the flat bench.
Equipment you need for dumbbell pullover
- Single dumbbell
- Flat bench (Adjustable bench can be set at incline, decline, or a flat position)
Muscles targetted by dumbbell pullover
- Chest (main)
- Biceps and triceps
- Shoulder muscles
- Your back muscles (side wings)
- Core muscles
How to perform dumbbell pullover
- To perform it, get a flat bench
- Set your bench perfectly, it should not move while performing exercise otherwise it can slip backward and you may fall due to it
- Grab a dumbbell inner head side with your palms
- Lay on the bench by keeping your upper back on the bench
- Keep your both legs bend while keeping your feet flat on the floor
- Now lift your dumbbell upward in front of your chest
- Now bring it slowly towards the back of your head
- When it reaches near your head back, lift it towards starting position
- Your one repitation is complete
Chest home workout routine
By using up mentioned exercises you can make the best home chest workout routine. As these exercises are very effective that is why you may see a noticeable change in your muscles after a few weeks.
Below mentioned routines are for beginners and for amateur routines.
If you are a beginner then you may need to do this chest workout routine minimum of one time per week.
- Push-ups – 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell bench press – 4 sets of 8bto 12 reps
- Dumbbell incline bench press – 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
- Dumbbell flat bench fly – 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps
- Dumbbell pullover – 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps
Use 45 to 60-second rest between sets. This chest routine is enough for your one-day physical activity, if you are finding it easy then you may need to increase your repetitions or sets. Do these exercises one time per week.
For the amateur or intermediate peoples this home chest workout plan can be suitable:
- Pushups – 3 sets of 20 to 30 reps
- Dumbbell bench press – 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps
- Dumbbell bench fly – 4 sets of 15 reps
- Dumbbell incline bench press – 4bsets of 15 reps
- Dumbbell pullover – 4bsets of 13 to 15 reps
Try to keep your rest time between 30 to 60 seconds. You may find it suitable or you can decrease or increase your repetitions. Do these exercises one or two times a week. Follow this plan for 10 to 12 weeks.
Learn - How to lose weight naturally
These chest workouts or exercises are top-rated and the best chest exercises that can work for your fitness motive.
You may don't feel the closure of gyms due to pandemics or lockdown. You can boost your muscles even at home. There are many other gym exercises that you can do at home, you can check them here.