The bicep is the most attractive part of our body’s muscles. It is an upper part of arms muscles that is present between the shoulders and our elbows. Blood vessels “Brachial artery” provides blood supply to these muscles. The tricep which is also important arms muscles has place below the biceps muscles. Both of these muscles show the strength and fitness of the person. A strong and fit person often has well-sized biceps. This article will discuss some important and valuable home bicep exercises that you may find useful.
Value of huge Biceps
Biceps muscles have huge value in our body and in society. We do most works by using our arms and upper body muscles that provide a lot of energy. Strong biceps show the sign of strength whereas weak or small biceps are associated with weakness.
These muscles are the most prominent part of our body. Almost every young boy wants to have good-shaped upper body muscles and most of them do a lot of arms exercises for that purpose. Abs, chest, and biceps are the most liked muscles by girls that is also the reason why men love going to the gym.
Here are some benefits of having strong and big biceps muscles:
- They improve the working capability
- They improve the performance at physical activities
- They increase the strength of arms
- Can be very useful in dangerous situation i.e fight related
- Girls like beautiful and strong biceps
Notable Athletes with well-sized biceps
Ronnie Coleman a genuine bodybuilding Goat who has won 8 titles of Mr. Olympia. In his prime Coleman was a big fan of heavy lifting that was maybe the reason for his big muscular body. His biceps and triceps size was 24 inches.
Phil Heath is a seven-time Mr. Olympia. In his best time, his biceps and triceps measurements were 23 inches.
Arnold swarzennegar is perhaps one of the most talented and valuable Athlete, who has produced his name in bodybuilding, acting, business, and politics. His prime body shape was like greek gods. His arms were 22 inches in measurement.
Kai Greene is also a famous bodybuilder who has won the Arnold classic three times (2009, 2010, 2016). His prime arms muscles were 22 inches.
Top 5 home bicep exercises
Here are some top-rate home bicep exercises that may help your biceps gaining dream:
Dumbbell biceps curl
It is a weight lifting exercise that is very effective for biceps muscles. Perhaps it is one of the top arm exercise that can increase your upper arms strength and size. This exercise is also good for forearms as it also helps them to gain strength, definition, and shape. Dumbbell biceps curl has many variations. This exercise can also be performed by using barbells, rods, or with the use of fitness bands.
How to perform dumbbell biceps curls
To perform this exercise you need a pair of dumbbells. Only use dumbbells which you can lift. Don’t use too heavy dumbbells otherwise you may increase the risks of upper arms injury.
Here is the way to perform dumbbell biceps curls:
- Grab dumbbells in your hands and stand straight with your feet hip-width apart.
- Relax your body and take the dumbbells on both sides of your body
- Your palms face should be in the forward position
- Now use your arms, chest, and abs strength and bend both elbows while lifting dumbbells towards your shoulders. Keep your elbows near your ribs while lifting them
- Exhale while lifting as it is beneficial during weights lifting
- After reaching the shoulders height, start lowering both dumbbells slowly by using your strength. Don’t use gravity power while lowering your dumbbells
- When you will reach the starting position then repeat it again
- Do 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps for benefits
Some important tips that may be useful for you while performing dumbbell biceps curl:
- Always choose normal-weighted dumbbells. Don’t use heavy dumbbells as they may lead to biceps injuries
- Always stand straight while performing biceps curls. Don’t bend your body, only bend your elbows while performing this exercise
- Lift and lower the dumbbells with low speed. Lowering the dumbbell’s speed should be less than lifting speed.
- Don’t lift your elbows, you only need to bend them during the exercise. Keep them tuck with your ribs
- Also, use your core strength during the exercise
Dumbbell curl video
Dumbbell concentration curls
Concentration curl is another best exercise for biceps. It targets mainly biceps (brachii) muscles. Secondary targetted muscles of concentration curls are upper forearms muscles. If you want strong, big, and good-looking biceps then this exercise is for you. Almost every gym freak loves this exercise. You can do this exercise easily with a single dumbbell. Add this exercise to your routine and get a noticeable pump in your arms.
How to perform dumbbell concentration curls
Here is how you can perform dumbbell concentration curls:
- Sit on a bench and grab a dumbbell to perform the exercise
- Attach your upper arm (dumbbell holding arm) on the inner sides of your thigh
- Now bend your elbow and lift the dumbbell towards your shoulder by using your inner arms force
- After reaching maximum height, take a second and then lower it towards the starting position
- After reaching the first position, repeat the process again
- Do 3 sets of 12 reps for each arm
Some important tips for dumbbell concentration curl:
- Prefer lightweight or normal weighted dumbbell as you may face difficulties while lifting too heavy during concentration curls
- Keep your both feet on the floor at the 90° angle
- Keep your elbows attached to your inner thigh
- Lift the dumbbell slowly
- Lower the dumbbell with less speed.
- Use your body’s power while performing this exercise
- Do complete sets and reps
- Use more lightweight dumbbell if you find this exercise hard to perform
Dumbbell concentration curl video
Dumbbell hammer curl
Hammer curls target the outer muscle layers of the biceps (brachii, brachialis, and brachioradialis). This exercise also targets the upward forearm area between the inner and upper forearms. This exercise can improve your arms muscles definition, strength, and grip power. It is an exercise that tortures the biceps muscles to build up by giving hammer-like punishment. Do this with other exercises and increase your arms strength and size.
How to perform dumbbell hammer curls
Here is how you can perform dumbbell hammer curls:
- Grab dumbbells in your hands and stand straight without making any bend in your body. Keep your feet on the ground with hip-width apart
- Now attach your both inner palms with your thigh while standing straight
- Keep your elbows near your ribs
- Now bend your elbows and lift both dumbbells towards your shoulders
- After reaching the maximum height, take a second rest then lower the dumbbells slowly by using your strength
- Repeat the process
- Do 3 to 4 sets of 12 reps
Some important tips for dumbbell hammer curls:
- Keep your self straight
- Lift normal weighted dumbbells because biceps muscles are small muscles and needless torture
- Slow speed weight lifting is best for good results
- Don’t change your inner palm face direction while performing this exercise
- Don’t lift your elbows, you just need to bend them during the exercise
Dumbbell hammer curl video
Dumbbell seated alternating curl
Dumbbell seated alternating curl is a variation of biceps curls. This exercise is best for heavy lifters. You can lift some extra pounds while performing alternating biceps curls. It targets the main biceps muscles. The secondary targets of dumbbells alternating curls include the upper part of back muscles (trapezius muscles) and some front muscles of shoulders (anterior deltoid).
How to perform dumbbell seated alternating curls
Here is how you can perform seated dumbbell alternating curls:
- Get a pair of dumbbell and sit on a bench
- Take dumbbells in your both hands and let them hang on your both sides
- Keep your feet flat on the floor
- Keep your body posture straight
- Now bend your left elbow and lift that side dumbbell slowly towards your left shoulder
- After reaching the maximum point lower it to starting position
- Now bend your right elbow while lifting a right-sided dumbbell towards your right shoulder
- After reaching top height, lower it slowly towards starting position
- Now do this again with the left arm and then right arm
- Do 2 sets of 12 reps on each side
Some important tips for dumbbell alternating curls:
- Only bend your elbows while performing the exercise. Don’t bend other parts or muscles of your upper body
- Lift and lower dumbbell slowly
- Lower it while using your own strength
Dumbbell seated alternating curl video
The barbell curl is performed by using a barbell and weight plates. It is an effective exercise that boosts the size, strength, and looks of your biceps. This exercise put more tension on the upper biceps which helps them to grow bigger and better. Different types and sizes of rods are available in the market through which you can perform this exercise.
How to perform barbell curl
Here is how you can perform barbell curl:
- Grab a barbell or a curl bar and put some weight plates on both sides
- Now make a narrow grip on the curl bar and lift it
- Keep your inner palm in forwarding position
- Bend your both elbows and lift the bar upward towards your chest and shoulders
- When the bar will reach your chest nipples height then take a second and lower it slowly and reach the starting position
- Repeat the process
- Do 3 to 4 sets of 12 reps
Tips for barbell biceps curl:
- Lift normal weight
- Don’t do this exercise fast
- Lift and lower the bar slowly
- Take some rest between the sets
- Use short bars as they are easy to control
Barbell curl video
This exercise is best for your home workout routines. All of these mentioned exercises are top-rated. These home-friendly workouts will help you during lockdown as most gyms are closed. Also, do these exercises with care as they also have some risks of injury.